Friday, February 20, 2009

Thursday's Common Existence (attempted) Review

(This photo is NOT by me. This is the album artwork)

I was given the opportunity to review the latest release from Thursday, Common Existence. While struggling with how to review an album I stumbled across a 'guest review' in Rolling Stone by Patrick Stump of Fall out Boy where he says he sees a strong connection between songwriting and rock criticism and stated that "Any songwriter should be able to review a record... and all reviewers should be able to write a song." Agreed.

Although I've played many instruments, I've never known how to read music. I have this crazy ability to hear something once and mimic it and essentially faked my way through band - and keeping my first chair status. I've never written a song in my adult life. I have always loved music and got into band photography because of this love and my background in photography.

But I do know this...

I have always loved Thursday. They're amazing live and do the best cover I've ever heard - The Buzzcocks' Ever Fallen in Love - on the Tony Hawk's American Wasteland Soundtrack.

This latest Epitaph release, Common Existence, is amazing and is everything I expected from this compassionate, talented bunch of musicians.

Thank you, Epitaph, for this opportunity. I should probably stick to photography and leave the album reviews to musicians. : )

Look for my photos of Thursday from the upcoming Taste of Chaos show on this blog site soon!

No comments: